“Get the Scoop”: 5 Fascinating Facts About What Motivates Liz Tolsma
I met Liz in July when she was on faculty with the virtual SoCal Christian Writers Conference. After attending two of her informative workshop sessions, I then met with her in a FaceTime mentor meeting where she talked with me about writing, researching, and social media. I was wowed by how much this woman knows and generously shared! Now, with her book slated for release on September 29, 2020, I wanted to learn more about her and her newest WWII novel, The Refrain Within. After you’ve read the 5 Fascinating Facts, enjoy my interview with Liz Tolsma below, and you’ll want to jump right into her books, too!
This post contains affiliate links. They don’t cost you a penny, and they allow me to keep writing! For more information, see my disclosures.
5 Fascinating Facts About What Motivates Liz Tolsma:
- Liz wrote her first proposal (which required a blurb about the story, a detailed synopsis, and the first three chapters of the novella for the publisher) from scratch over a three-day family camping trip where she spent most of her time hunkered down typing alone in her camper! This became Under His Wings (a novella in A Log Cabin Christmas collection), her first published book! Barbour Publishing has repackaged it, along with some other popular Christmas novellas, into the JoyFul Christmas Collection just in time for Christmas!
- Next, she wrote her first full-length book, Snow on the Tulips, which was a family-inspired WWII story about which she was passionate.
- Her minor in history, her family heritage from Eastern Europe, and her love of research have provided a strong foundation for her WWII writing.
- In addition to her historical fiction, she also has written in other genres including historical romance, inspirational, and one Amish romance.
- A prolific writer, she continues to contribute novels to a variety of book series including True Colors (historical stories of romance and American crime), Matchmaker Brides Collection, and others. And (drumroll!!) she just announced her participation in a new series, too, with her new project, Voice of Hope! Keep reading to learn more about Liz!
Liz, what inspired you to write this series and this particular story?
I was classically trained on both the piano and clarinet, and that led me to want to create main characters in this trilogy who were musicians. My personal background contributed to my interest in writing my Music of Hope Series, where each book features a different type of musician (a violinist, a singer, and a clarinetist). All of the books in this trilogy are set in Eastern Europe during WWII, a time period in which I’ve done much research and have a lot of interest. The Refrain Within, the third in this series, was inspired after I read the story of the oldest Holocaust survivor, a concert pianist in Prague, and wondered, “What if …”
To save a life, would you betray everyone you love?
Hungary in 1944 is a dark place. The Nazis have invaded and turned the country upside down, their evil making its way into every life.
Clarinetist Eva Bognar is engaged to conductor and composer Patrik Kedves, happily planning her wedding. At first she doesn’t think the war will affect her directly; everyone around her can be trusted to do the right thing. Then her Jewish best friend and sister-in-law Zofia goes missing–and instead of the Gestapo being to blame, a friend says it was Patrik who led Zofia away. Has he betrayed Eva and everything the family stands for?
When the rest of the family’s lives are directly threatened, Patrik’s secrets must come to light. The Bognars flee for the border in hopes of getting out of the country to the safety of Palestine. Eva must put her life and the lives of everyone she loves in the hands of the very man who betrayed her–and they may not all make it out of the war alive . . .
Liz Tolsma is the author of several WWII novels, romantic suspense novels, prairie romance novellas, and an Amish romance. She is also an editor and loves mentoring new writers. Her podcast, Christian Historical Fiction Talk, can be found on Spotify, iTunes, and other popular podcast platforms. Liz resides next to a Wisconsin farm field with her husband and their youngest daughter. Her son is a U.S. Marine, and her oldest daughter is a college student. When she’s not writing, she enjoys reading, walking, working in her large perennial garden, kayaking, and camping.
For a taste of this enticing book, listen to Liz read the first chapter of The Refrain Within.
Where can readers find Liz Tolsma online?
Christian Historical Fiction Talk: https://christianhistoricalfiction.buzzsprout.com
Where can readers purchase Liz Tolsma’s books?
They’ll be available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and any of the other online stores.
Liz will be on tour with Celebrate Lit from October 23 to November 5, 2020. Visit Celebrate Lit here to enter the giveaway when her tour starts.
Thanks for joining us, Liz, and we’ll be reading your books!